Tips for visiting
the Academia Gallery
Everything You Need To Know Before Visiting Accademia Gallery, Florence
Before entering the museum, you will be required to pass a security check with a metal detector. Sharp objects, including scissors, will not be allowed to enter the museum. Things that could potentially harm other visitors are forbidden for the safety of the other museum guests. Sharp objects like scissors are forbidden because they could possibly cause harm to the artwork. Be aware that there is no cloakroom at the Accademia Gallery.
Please make arrangements to leave your suitcases, backpacks, and helmets in a different, secure location. These bulky items will not be allowed into the museum, and the Accademia will not hold your belongings on your behalf while you visit the gallery.
You can rent an audio guide for €5 from the bookshop. The museum has two bookshops to find and purchase a souvenir before you leave. The Galleria dell’Accademia museum does not have a formal dress code. However, we recommend that you dress modestly in case you decide to visit a cathedral, such as the Duomo, after your museum visit. Churches in Italy adhere strictly to a modest dress code.
You will find multiple lines leading to the entrance doors outside the museum. Please carefully read the posted signs to determine which entrance line is yours. Some lines have a much longer wait time than others.
We encourage you to consider purchasing a Skip-the-Line ticket or signing up for a guided tour (with a Skip-the-Line ticket included) to bypass the long lines waiting outside. Visit the Galleria dell’Accademia’s official website to see if there are any special events or exhibitions on display when you plan to visit: www.galleriaaccademiafirenze.it Remember that there is only one official online ticket store, B-ticket, from which you can purchase general admittance tickets. Or, you can consider purchasing Skip-the-Line tickets in order to fast-track your entrance and, as the name implies, skip the long lines.
Monday through Sunday (8:15 a.m. to 6:50 p.m.)
Mondays are closed
Be informed before you go
Recommend visiting the museum at the best time of day – either early in the morning or after 5 p.m.
The recommended duration is – 2 hours
Built-in – 1784
The starting price for a ticket to the Accademia Gallery is €25
The nearest bus stop is Piazza Di San Marco.
The following transit lines pass near Galleria dell’Accademia (Accademia Gallery): Bus: 14B, 17, 20, 23A, 6A, 6B
Visit our page on How to Get to Galleria dell’Accademia (Accademia Gallery) via Bus, Train or Light Rail for more information.
The Accademia Gallery’s must-see works
David – by Michelangelo
Slaves – by Michelangelo
Coronation of the Virgin – by Jacopo di Cione
The Rape of the Sabine Women – by Giambologna
Tree of Life – by Pacino di Buonaguida
Coronation of the virgin – by jacopo di cione
Via Ricasoli, 58/60, 50122 Firenze FI, Italy
See the map and get directions
Map of the Academia Gallery
Here you can download a map of the Academia Gallery
For visitors hoping to gain a piece of in-depth knowledge about Florence’s artistic history and the cultural significance of the works inside, a guided Accademia Gallery tour is a great option! You can tour the entire museum with a professional, multi-lingual guide. Your guide is well-versed in the history and important influences of the artists and artworks housed in the Gallery, as well as interesting facts about the Accademia museum itself.
There are five works in the Accademia Gallery that are a must-see for art lovers
What you need to know before you visit the Academia Gallery
- Skip-the-Line tickets allow you to bypass the long line for the general entrance. You will still be required to go through the security check line.
- Your reserved time slot may be adjusted upon arrival, depending on the current crowd levels.
- Tour guides are easily visible in their brightly-colored clothing. You will be able to recognize your specific guide amongst the crowd with ease.
- With proof of ID, EU Citizens can purchase a general admittance ticket at a reduced price.
- Hazardous objects are forbidden from entering the Accademia grounds. All consumables are also not allowed on the Gallery premises.
- Double check if your ticket allows for cancellations. If you are unsure, contact your ticket provider.
- Due to the sheer size of the museums, combo tickets that grant entrance into more than one museum may require a rushed visit to each museum to fit time constraints.
- On self-guided tours, we recommend starting from the top floor and working your way back down to avoid massive crowds.